Sunday, July 19, 2009

It is Sunday, 21st January, 1968

I am twenty-six years old. It is Sunday, 21st January, 1968 and today Osho will be speaking at 4:00pm in Sunmukhananda Hall in Bombay. One of my friends, knowing my quest for truth, advises me to go and listen to Him. I have already heard so many so-called saints and mahatmas that I am disillusioned by this religious game going on in India. But somehow, Osho, who is known as Acharya Rajneesh, attracts me. I decide to go to his discourse.

At 4:00pm I find my way to the second floor balcony of Sunmukhananda Hall, which is over-crowded. Lots of people are standing on the sides near the walls and there is quite and excitement in the air. It is very noisy. This is one of the biggest auditorium in Bombay, with the capacity to hold about five thousand people. I find a seat, make myself comfortable, and try to relax.

Within minutes a man with a beard, wearing a white lunghi and shawl appears on the podium, namastes the audience with folded hands and sits down in the lotus posture. I an sitting quit far away from the podium and can hardly see His face, but my heart is throbbing with excitement in anticipation of listening to this unknown man.

In a few moments I hear His sweet but strong voice addressing the audience as "Mere Priya Atman--my beloved souls." Suddenly there is pindrop silence in the auditorium. I experience His voice taking me into a deep relaxation and I am listening to Him in utter silence. My mind has stopped: only His voice is echoing all the questions which have been bothering me for years.

The discourse is over, my heart is dancing with joy, and I tell my friend, "He is the Master I am looking for. I have found Him." I come out and buy a few books and a magazine called Juoti Shikha. As I open it, I see that the headline on the page reads "Acharya Rajneesh’s 36th Birthday Celebration." I can’t believe it--I am sure it is a printing mistake and it should be "63". I ask the girl at the counter; she laughs and says that "36" is right. I still can’t believe that I have heard the discourse of a man who is only thirty-six years old. from His speech He sounds like an ancient rishi of the times of the Upanishads.

Chapter 1
One Hundred Tales for Ten Thousand Buddhas
Ma Dharm Jyoti

--------------------------

INTRODUCTION
One Hundred Tales For Ten Thousand Buddhas – this is a essential book. There exists no other quite like it. It is a collection of living moments with the living Buddha. It is not some events remembered and then adorned with reactions. These are tales vitally alive.

These tales are a great gift for all of us – those who have sat with the living Master and those who haven’t. It is a book for all seekers. It is also a book for those who are not actively seeking, but surely have the same longing – the longing for a taste of that love which has no bondage.

Ma Dharm Jyoti lived and travelled with Osho in the very early days when Osho left being a professor at universities, and traveled around India giving talks and gathering thousands around him. These are the tales of those days.

They are written in the present tense because, as Jyoti says, that’s how they come to her. And, as the writing was happening, she was reliving them with many tears. When this happens, there is no room for the mind. These tales come from the very being, from the very heart source.

Jyoti was walking with Osho in the twentieth century, but to me these moments transcend time. It could not have been Lao Tzu, Buddha or Jesus. Though the outer conditions and manifestations would vary, the essence of the Awakened Ones is one. And this is where there is no individuality, only universality. And only the universal transcends time.

The simplicity with which they are written is representative of the simplicity of those moments. Jyoti shows us the ease with which Osho transformed any moment of discomfort. The key seems to be to accept the situation, whatever it is. The love and the caring of the Master is unfathomable to the mind. She points out so delicately how Osho never wanted anyone to feel guilty. What a phenomenon! It boggles the mind which is constantly judging and imposing guilt wherever and whenever possible.

While reading these tales, the moments become alive and I was living them – so powerful, so full of life energy. Jyoti tells us that one day, Osho put His foot on her heart centre. I felt that foot for three days.

The phenomenon of Buddhahood is so incomprehensible to the mind. These simple little vignettes are the closest I have ever seen to conveying the fragrance of emptiness.

Ma Satya Priya

No comments: